Campus18 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Campus18 Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"

Go down 
+7
zephed
princeton666
samridhi
Nikhita
Sabika
vaibhavab
Riju
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Riju

Riju

Female Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2007-06-26

"you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Empty
PostSubject: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2007 9:39 pm

In an interview, actress Archana Puran Sing is asked…."what
would you do if your partner cheated on you??” Her reply was…..."well I would not appease feminists and say that I will leave him, its not that easy you know especially when you have children"

This answer turned my thoughts to the topic of 'feminism'. But the dimension atwhich I am looking at is not feminism as an issue and as a way of thinking, but the way feminism is being perceived by general people.

One day we all were troubling our college professor very much and after the class someone said that she is crying and spread the news... Well driving professor nuts is one thing but making her cry is totally off the limits... So I very strongly said that we all must apologize... But then it turned out that it was just a rumor. Then I heard a male voice..."and here is riju ... she was spreading her feminism crap for
nothing at all"

Well the person who said this calls him self and that too very proudly withou even considering whether other people care or not .. ‘a typical male chauvinistic pig’. But that’s not the point. The point is apologizing a college professor for hooliganism is 'being feminist' ??

If this disturbes you, wait until I tell you the meaning of feminism told by the very same person…."well it is just an over indulgence in woman related issues"
oh really... and when you decide to leave your partner because he cheated on you.. Then you are appeasing feminists??

The way feminism is perceived is not only untrue but in
every way ridiculous. Being a feminist makes you by default a ‘man hater’. You can’t agree on what men say. And being in a relationship with a man is totally out of question.

My elder sister is once told….”hmm you are not a feminist”
when she asked “why do you think so”…. the reply was….”well…. you can’t possibly be…. I know you have a boyfriend!”

Why is feminism perceived like that??

We live in a patriarchal society. To this no one would
disagree. This system has resulted and still results in exploitation of women. Exploitation as I perceives… it includes making women
devoid of all the opportunities which would help a human being to succeed in life , not only professionally but also on a personal level. It includes shutting all the doors for women so that they
are left with no other option but to rely and literally depend on men for every thing. It is making the presence of men crucial for not only their emotional and financial necessities but also for their social acceptance.

Feminism identifies
this exploitation. Feminism raises a question on this dependence which is not natural. It identifies the doors which are not made accessible for women and asks for an explanation for their inaccessibility. Feminism demands a logical reasoning for the shackles to which women are tied to. It forces the world to make all the options
available for women too which is there for men. Making options available and giving women a right to choose, a freedom to examine the pros and cons of each.

When women will have options then they will have a freedom
to choose. This freedom allows a break from the mindset of the society which is largely clichéd. Women are forced to forgo opportunities because they will be ill thought of in the society.

Feminism is all about being aware of your choices and the
ways to access them. It is about making a society where a woman is independent.

Now being independent does not mean remaining a spinster all your life.
Being independent means knowing that you are not in a marriage because your in laws were given handsomeamount of “gifts”.
Being independent does not mean that you will not be a
housewife all your life.
It means that you will be a house maker and you have the option of going out and work where you will be welcomed on the basis of your skills.

Returning to Ms Archana Puran Singh’s answer … well feminism is not about leaving your husband because he has cheated…
but it is all about knowing that you are independent
enough to do so and have enough options when you decide to walk out of your marriage.

It’s about knowing that you can not
merely survive but live happily and will be respected for your decisions.

Feminism is not about not having boyfriends and husbands.
It’s
about having this confidence and trust in yourself that even it you don’t have one, you will not be a less of a person.

Anone who acknowledges this is a feminist. It's not exclusively for women.
Back to top Go down
vaibhavab

Male Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 12:45 am

ATTAGIRL!

what kind of dim-witted people get through economics at your college? go and tell that shithead that he can very well diasappear from the face of this earth, and nobody will miss tha "MCP"...

Completely agree with u Ms.Riju JoshILI... feminism, because of some loudmouths has come to be percieved as another term for male-bashing... its these motormouths and the irresponsible newschannels that give them a platform to shout at the top of their voices whenever any women-related issue comes up, that FEMINISM today is being regarded by some as something negative and anti-development...

Since i agree with u, AM i a FEMINIST:?: confused
Back to top Go down
Sabika

Female Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 12:47 am

One helluvanamazing article... so full of zeal that it gives you the same tingling feeling you get as u walk out of the cinema hall, post RDB.... FEMINISTS UNITED!!! A toast to the love of women (not lesbians Razz) and not to the hatred of man!
Back to top Go down
Nikhita

Nikhita

Female Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 1:00 am

riju...who in my juniors is lyk that??? ask him to take sum classes from vinita...lolzz...and ask him not to pass such stupid comments in front of me atleast...or else, he'll fet to know wat feminist bashing is all about...hu ha hu ha...m ready to face him....
Back to top Go down
samridhi

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 8:08 pm

yeah!! it's sad feminism is being percived the way it is.women don't even want to be called feminist.
Back to top Go down
princeton666

Female Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-06-10

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Dis's probably the best article i'v read in a long time
U Go Grl:flower:!!!
Absolutely fantabulous.... U'r correct in pointin wat feminism really means. We sure need ppl hu'd understand it the way its suppose to be understood.
Back to top Go down
zephed

zephed

Female Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 11:26 pm

Feminism, like juhi said, is a concept whose roots and ideals are horrible misplaced, misunderstood and very conveniently abused!

Feminists wouldn't really be there if we weren't living in a patriarchal society. Although propagandists would obviously be there, seeing as they're willing to run up to the throne of fame at any given opportunity. But since the focus of our discussion is feminists, and not propagandists, I'll refrain myself from ranting on those lines and save you guys the effort of getting into those undesired complications!
Coming back to feminism, from the times of the Greek Civilisation, it has been viewed as the 'man-hating' school of thought! From time immemorial, feminists have been condemned as vermin, scum.. basically as the 'unwanted element'.
I, as neither a feminist nor a misogynist, would just like to make a simple statement. We're stuck in a vicious cycle that society binds us in wherein the patriarchs create the feminists and it is, eventually, the patriarchs who kill them to!
This actually leads me to wonder, is it just propaganda that all of this revolves around? Or is this a convenient tool used by the authoritarians with the ulterior motive to bind every element of the society into convenient (convenient for them) bonds??
Back to top Go down
Ritwik

Ritwik

Male Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2007 1:13 am

nice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unitedstudents.in
pronoy

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-07-04

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 3:37 pm

With due regard to the writer's view on feminism, I'd like to suggest that we take more of a "centrist" approach to the issue, a median path. In saying so, what I intend to imply is that women undoubtedly need to be given equivalent status and opportunity in the society, by all means. There is no reason why they should not be given their due, even more so when they have played second fiddle all along, more specifically in the Indian social structure. But all said and done, what I firmly believe in, is that an indistinguishable status for women should under no circumstance come at the cost of an antagonistic approach towards their counterparts. Agreed, that women have been subservient to the male being and have time and again been compelled to relent to the male dominance (given the current societal structure and certain ill-founded traditional practices), and it is extremely unfortunate. But to be given an equal place on a significant rung of the societal ladder, we must not seek displacement of the so called dominant male presence (as it is perceived to be), but an extension of the very same rung in order to make room for female equality.
The writer has rather explicitly aired her angst against people who seem to be blissfully ignorant about the very notion of feminism, which in my opinion is a consequence of the confrontational approach. Moreover the reason why "feminism" is being perceived as being synonymous to "male bashing" is the mindset, that needs a drastic change. Flagbearers of the cause need to realise that such an approach would facilitate a greater level of so called chauvivism and a great deal of acrimony, which is absolutely uncalled for. Further, I feel that it is utterly unjust on our part to shift the entire burden of the issue to "male dominance". Agreed, it forms a part of the entire debate, but one must bear in mind, that it is not the only thing.
At the end, I would like to point out that the virtually Satanic manifestation that feminism has taken today is grossly detrimental to the societal standards and there is dire requirement of a change in perception..................
Back to top Go down
pronoy

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 3:55 pm

Further, talking about the entire debate about the requirement of more female managers, I feel that the argument does not have substantial backing of any cogent logic, whatsoever. When it comes to eligibility for the post of managers or any other similar post in an organisation, it is all a question of ability and your core competence in the concerned area. For that matter, irrespective of the fact that the candidate is a male or a female, whosoever is more capable and merited will deserve the post.
Further it is a known fact that women are inferior to men as far as physical ability is concerned, therefore in professions which require sheer muscle power, the male more often than not, tends to supersede his counterpart. But in terms of mental ability both can very safely be placed on equal footing, and going by the very same reason all forms of reservations for women in such fields should be dispensed with. For if we tread the path of the proponents of "feminism", and still provide reservations, it would be weaking and disempowering them further, and would be contradictory in its own right.......................
Back to top Go down
pronoy

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 3:59 pm

PS: The purpose of the above posts is not to offend the supporters of the cause in any form whatsoever, but to bring to the fore other, logical viewpoints and perceptions that need to be taken into cosideration as well, when we talk of an issue, as sensitive as "feminism"...............
Back to top Go down
pronoy

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 4:04 pm

PS: The purpose of the above posts is not to offend the supporters of the cause in any form, whatsoever; but to bring to the fore, other logical viewpoints and perceptions that also need to be taken into consideration while discussing an issue as important and sensitive as "feminism".............
Back to top Go down
shashwati

Female Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 11:15 pm

hey very well written...taught me a lot about feminism.
whoever that person was should feel guilty and ashamed of his actions.he only just needs to read this article to regret what he said.
do share more of ur noble thoughts on this forum. looking forward to reading and admiring ur blogs.
Back to top Go down
smriti d

smriti d

Female Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 7:43 pm

u gp girl! n ask that "mcp" to go straighten out his fact abt .................. almost everything in life!!!
lolz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"   "you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"you cant be a feminist.... you have a boyfriend"
Page 1 of 1