Campus18 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Campus18 Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Foodies of Kolkata

Go down 
+6
nayanika
Torsa
stutiagarwal
smriti d
adi
anwesha_ghosh
10 posters
AuthorMessage
anwesha_ghosh

anwesha_ghosh

Female Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 6:04 pm

Hey guys, you must have checked out the Foodies section in the Forum. Unfortunately the place has been "overrun" by Delhiites. True, now we do know where to head to when in the Capital, but we'd like to boast about our foodstops too. People, please to post about your favourite spots;small or big, cheap or pocket-burner!
Back to top Go down
adi

adi

Male Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 6:17 pm

i am not a serious foodie..but my hot spots in cal are -
red hot chilli peppers,mocambo,zaarang when with family n not payin the bill...
and stun the sun,mama mia,lake kalibari,momo's when with friends...
barbq is standard which is cool coz its in park street...
Back to top Go down
anwesha_ghosh

anwesha_ghosh

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 6:28 pm

A Dash of This and A Dash of That (City Centre, Salt Lake)

Small though this place is (about a 40 seater), this is the first eatery in the city that specializes in the South-East Asian cuisine rather than depending heavily on Indianized Chinese and Thai food. Indonesian, Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese... You name it, you've got it! Set up by an NRI couple who wanted a decent place to dine out while looking for something unconventional, this place is too cosy for words with its fantastic decor, yummy food and warm service.

Sight Seeing
The ambience of this place is pretty good with tasteful decor from the South Eastern regions. Right from those masks to the tiny kimonos bound on frames, it's got a quaint feel. You're welcomed to the place with Far Eastern music (Guess they have only one album because I found them playing the same songs on two different days!) and once you're seated on those cosy couchs or heavily stuffed chairs, they light the aromatic candles to set the feel right. A perfect place for a date! You don't feel claustrophobic in the tiny place because of the clever use of mirrors in giving it extra dimensions.

Drown in the Drinks
This is one of the few restaurants in City Centre which does serve alcohol. Its bar is pretty good with mocktails and cocktails. (Nope! Your correspondant hasn't been bingeing!)

Food for Thought
Too good for words! Right from Honey and Sesame Chicken to Fiery Chilli Chicken, from Singapore Rice noodles to Nasi Goreng (Vietnamese Fried Rice with egg strips), everything is tasty and authentic, rather than the Indianized shit served elsewhere. And what is special about this place is that rather than waiting for you to "decrease the spice or increase the sauce", they'll customize those factors by asking you directly!

Customer Care
The service is pretty good with you not having to wait too long. The Customer Care Executives (Waiters for the Politically Incorrect!) are extremely polite and patient, rather than treating you as if you're wasting their time (I know loads of places where they do that!) And what touched my heart is that they treat you with Chlormints rather than saunf, once you're done with the meal. If you want to hang around rather than hury with your meal, they don't shoo you off at all!

Pocket Pinch
Pretty okay when compared to the quality and taste of this place. A meal for two will cost about Rs. 350-400 and will fill you well enough.

So the next time you're around and are looking for a gastronomic adventure, do head for this place and enjoy the Far East in Kolkata.
Back to top Go down
anwesha_ghosh

anwesha_ghosh

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 6:31 pm

Ooh! Mocambo, Mama Mia and Zaraang are my favs too!!! Those yummy gelatos...
Back to top Go down
smriti d

smriti d

Female Number of posts : 150

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 7:59 pm

umm....i dunno abt u guys but my fav is One-Step-Up on park street.....

N Pepperchino in Lansdowne!!!
Back to top Go down
smriti d

smriti d

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 8:01 pm

Oooooh,n i totally forgot Jai Hind Dhaba n Azad Hind....!N also Sanjha Chulha!

M a punjabi,therefore a die-hard fan for dhaba food...!
Back to top Go down
stutiagarwal

stutiagarwal

Female Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 8:05 pm

there are plenty of options in kolkata...good food n cheap too...naming a few would not be doing justice to them
Back to top Go down
smriti d

smriti d

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 8:09 pm

Hey i think im gonna write about China-town here.....
Back to top Go down
Torsa

Torsa

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 10:18 pm

smriti... ya! china town.. u reminded me of my honey chicken!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.torsa-g.blogspot.com
nayanika

nayanika

Female Number of posts : 48

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 11:10 pm

Well...my favourite topic's on...kool...
i have my divisions too...Smile

with family:mainland china,peter cat,mocambo,atrium n beijing in tangra..

[b]with friends:MCDONALDS,KFC,one step up,grub club(if ny of u know bout this)n our college canteen..

If we r talking bout phuchkas n jhalmuri,vivekananda park wins hands down..

If we r talking bout rolls,ny roadside dhaba would do..

If we r talking indian food,sanjha chulha rulez followed by azad hind dhaba,jaihind dhaba(one of smritiz personal favs,vich resulted in it being one of mine as well)and airport dhaba..

Am a foodie to the extreme,n the list definitely doesnt end...it just begins..Wink
Back to top Go down
srimoyi

srimoyi

Female Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2007-07-21

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 11:52 pm

well for chatpata stuff like chaats,panipuri,muri,soda siknaji....VP is wat kolkata swears by!!tho man of war jetty(ganga) is a common stop for ppl who like taking a long drive...da phuchka,muri..n Scoop r da main attractions.

for kathi rolls Nizam near New market wins hands down..crispy n yummy..as da taglyn goes 'cuz we invented it!!!' (nt quoted to rote)...n "Anadi 's " moghlai parantha..n "Allen's" prawn cutlet are cult!!What a Face
chinese spells prk street n tangra..no question abt it!Cool

i hv a sweet tooth so "mama mia" ."kookie jar".......n "balaram" r my personal favz for da sweet stuff!
no neone who comes to kolkata n it a mishti freak..do try out "balaram" in bhawanipur...awsum mishtis esp nolen gurer sondesh n aam doi!!!yummmmmm!!!!!!!!!!geek
Back to top Go down
anwesha_ghosh

anwesha_ghosh

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Yum! Have you people tried the famous momos at the entrance of Exide More (Rabindra Sadan Station)? Do try them! And Lake Town's phuchkas! And American Chopsuey at Hong Kong (Kankurgachhi). And Haka at City Centre. And the restaurants in inner Tangra. And Pizza Hut City Centre.

Coincidentally whenever I decide for an eat out I'm sure to bump into Torsa who's as big a foodie as I am! tongue
Back to top Go down
avi

avi

Male Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-07-20

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 2:11 am

no matter where we are in kolkata...... we can always find good food.....puchkaas and aloo dum and momos and egg roll and....... i have to go get a mid nite snack......
Back to top Go down
simrandewan

simrandewan

Female Number of posts : 87

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 2:48 am

hmmm...... fooooooddddddddddd!!!!!!!11 ma fav topppic!!!!!
ummm.. ok, i will start wid... vik park.... pepper chino... pastas at burp, kababs of zeeshan, subway salads n sandwiched, burgers at kfc, n............ hw cn u forget rolls at kusum? n ya... china town roxx!!!!!!! for south indian... which iz my alltime fav... "hotel homely raj", or dosa plaza!!!! one step up.. iz amazing!!!!!!! cheese lovers can make it their second home!!! (juz lik me)
Back to top Go down
anwesha_ghosh

anwesha_ghosh

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 8:26 pm

A moment of silence please for the beloved McD that had an accident today morning. Burgers will never be the same again...

People, how about us starting our Foodies excursion like the Delhi people have begun? Wanna start with Mocambo?
Back to top Go down
Tirthankar

Male Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-07-30

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 8:48 pm

sub-way, azad hind, honey the dhaba, sanjha chulla r very good.............
charcoal, grub club n hatari r decent.................but boss are ivory, grain of salt, the conclave, mainland china, peter cat, bar b q, one step up, tangerine....
bong restoras r good too like kewpies, 13 parbon, bhojohori manna, etc
Back to top Go down
Tirthankar

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 8:48 pm

being a big foody i know a thing or two abt the restoras in Cal.........................
Back to top Go down
Tirthankar

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 8:52 pm

mishti?mithai n obviously KC Das.....................r too good balaram is traditoinally awesome...........................
mouchak ws good too but now uts closed....................gangurams n hindusthan sweets r decent.................mishti doi is wat cal also known for...............................now i am hungry so logging off:P lol!
Back to top Go down
anwesha_ghosh

anwesha_ghosh

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 9:59 pm

Oks oks! We Kolkatans are big foodies and we wanna prove just that. So let's plan an eat out and report it. People please suggest where and when.
Back to top Go down
Tirthankar

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 12:35 pm

gr8 idea but need public consensus for that idea!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
smriti d

smriti d

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2007 7:15 pm

sure sure peepulz...lez show dem dat even our tiny puchka can kick der golgappa's ass!!!!!
im ready to even sponsor man!!!
Back to top Go down
srimoyi

srimoyi

Female Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2007-07-21

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2007 11:56 pm

i luv kolkata............da food u get is awsummmmm
suits evry budget n palate
i lurv da chaats,puchkas......rokkingggg
n misti doi..........yummmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Foodies of Kolkata Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foodies of Kolkata   Foodies of Kolkata Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foodies of Kolkata
Page 1 of 1