Campus18 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Campus18 Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Being a college fresher

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
devinair

devinair

Female Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Being a college fresher Empty
PostSubject: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2007 5:56 pm

The TRANSFORMATION from a school kid to a college freshman is one of the most trying times for any person.

Its when you realize you are not 'Girls & Boys' anymore...it's "Ladies & Gentlemen". Cool

It's when you realize that the people who were with you the previous 10 or so odd years are not with you anymore.
It's a whole new world out there and you are alone to face it.

Wouldn't it be nice to have the same gang you had with you in school along with you in college? But unfortunately in the real world it's not going to happen. Even if you were lucky enough to have your pals:roll: around you, they are still sailing in the same boat.Question

So lets face it. Either you find the best of friends or sometimes the worst.The first year of college or more precisely the first few weeks are the hardest.
So how does it feel to be fresher?
is it scary?affraid

Or is it tense? pale

Well every body goes through it and we all came out of it for the better. sunny
Everyone has their own favorite memory as a fresher!!!!
Share your experience....
it could be anything from getting ragged, to havin a crush lol! or kind of friends u made Wink ......

Last edited by on Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sahil

Sahil

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2007 7:31 pm

Piece of bullshit is what you might call this. But is it?? Deceiving people isn’t all that difficult- me being a champ at it- but is there any point in cheating ourselves??? I was once told by my mum that every damn person on this earth has something special about him. The sole purpose of one’s life should thus be to discern that trait and make the most of it.

Being brought up in an overtly protective environment- read: school- where I enjoyed quite a bit of popularity; entering college was a major setback. In a matter of few days I was thrown into a whole new world where I had to compete with others on a common platform. I wasn’t the ‘star’- not even a
self made one-
that I was in school. This gave me a reality check and left
me completely disoriented. Nobody knew me. I had to work hard again to carve my own niche which had come all too easily to me earlier. Disillusioned, I set out to find my true calling. To unearth that one thing in me, which would set me apart from the rest.

"Who am I?? What do I want in life?? What do I expect from it??"

Insecurity-of getting lost in the crowd- plagued me like anything. I had bouts of depression worse than that of a junkie trying to prevent his graveyard shift. Was I just another guy, living just another life?? Or was I being too idealistic?? Were the people around me really endowed??? Or was it just my acuity???

I had started enjoying seclusion, not because I loved being alone but because I hated being with others. The void within me was taking its toll on me and on others around me. I had become oblivious to camaraderie; my relationships had lost their warmth and charm. All this had put me into the worst identity crisis situation possible.

So as to get my f****d up life back on track- totally clueless about what the future held in store for me- I decided to let myself loose and flow into the hands of destiny. I decided to put my best foot forward in all the things I did and leave the rest to fate. I realized that the only option left with me was to work my way to the top of the heap all over again- slowly, yet steadily. It was my determination and trust- in destiny- that helped me come to terms with life. Although I still ain’t very sure of what I want in life or what I expect from it, I have a direction. My life is much more balanced and momentous now. I have set my priorities right and now am proud to say

"I am what I am!!!!"

(had written it kaafi pehle....thought of posting it here just because i thought it fitted in here)
Back to top Go down
devinair

devinair

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 4:50 pm

heyyy sahil i can really relate my own life with what u said ....
talk abt identitiy crisis...i was unable to recognize how i transformed my personality from being the most friendly person in school to a loner after 1st yr college

i had hard luck with friends in college ...don take me wrong i don mean everyones bad ....i dint fit into to the world i chose to be in Sad

As sahil said .... "I had started enjoying seclusion, not because I loved being alone but because I hated being with others. "

I did try making new friends...kept tellin myself there might be a meager percentage of ppl who unlike others are not cake shut by the dust of deception.....but my transformation was so strong i could harldy trust or get close to anyone whatsoever ....

instead of thinkin im a failure , could i perhaps accept that im just normal ...OK!!! so it will be ....

Then my emotions rose ..i began feelin frustrated angry and lonely....my mind protested and said...you"re a failure !!!.......
Back to top Go down
dcemaverick

dcemaverick

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 8:08 pm

it s not "ladies and gentleman" really...its more like "fachchi and fachcha" or even 4 dat matter "bakri aur bakra"

wait till graduation for the "respect" tags
Back to top Go down
Nikhita

Nikhita

Female Number of posts : 1492

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 12:15 am

well well.....this one brings back a lot of memories....good and bad!! Wink

i still remember the chirpy me on the first day of college....though i wasn't really satisfied with the college i got into (KMC), but economics was one reason i was really happy...and was lukin forward to some great times...infact i was so excited that i just jumped onto sumone reading the eco time table...kush verma it was...and he's still a great buddy!!! infact everyone way back then thought we came from teh same skool...there doubts were cleared after 6 months of college....ha...twas fun...lotsa fun!!

but...something totally unexpected was awaiting me...

i decided to join the dance society at college -SENSATION...it wasn't a registered society and there was no way i would get attendance for missing classes (while ppl in all other societies wud..sob sob)!! So..i had to make sure that i keep the right balance...and not miss out on too many classes...but sumthin about sensation hooked me on real bad...i still dunno wat...probably dancing...or may be the fun of meeting new people everyday...or probably being really close to the 'seniors'....something was pulling me in...

but once in I realized that what they said about college was true….ppl are deceptive…u do lose urself in the crowd …and I did too …weirdly…cause dat was sooo not me!!! I can’t be one in the crowd….teh dance soc made me realize that there are people with a split personality….in fact, today I believe…there are multi-faceted people in this world…..and they do it soo well!!! I became one of them…I forgot myself in them… there was no longer ‘nikhita’….there was only ‘nikhita from sensation’…..and moreover….everyone around me wasn’t happy with that change…my parents were pissed about me not being serious about my studies….my sister was pissed cause I wasn’t spending enough quality time with her…most of my teacher’s hated me for being a part of a society that wasn’t registered and was losing on my attendance….my friends from school complained about me not pikin their calls (I was always in practice)…..and to top it all….I WASN’T HAPPY…not at all…I felt burdened….i felt awkward…I didn’t feel at home when I as home….i didn’t like it when I was with friends…I didn’t feel like studying…I was lost…lost in the crowd….

But times do change….and for the better….my time changed too….one out station trip with the dance society members and I realized whose the friend and whose the foe….they knew how to hide their wrong doings in a ‘freshers’ name….i despised that….come December…and I got back to who I was…’Nikhita’…yes…’Nikhita’….i left the society and decided to work hard on my studies…I was getting back to normal…..and I did…I scored a whopping 75% in my internals….everyone around me was happy…their faith was restored….and the best part…I WA HAPPY….

These few months made me realize what goes inside a fresher’s mind…how vulnerable he/she is…these few months made me realize how protected I was at school….these few months made me realize wat exactly college meant….these few months made me realsie that you have to be harsh to yourself to not lose urself in that crowd….these few months made me realize that YOUR BEST FRIEND IS YOU….these few months….definitely memorable…bought a drastic change in me….I WAS ME…..and PROUD TO BE ME!!! I strived to be me….and today I can proudly say I have carved a SUPERB niche for myself…..am sure ppl around me can vouch for that…

Thanx devi ….for making me remember those times…..

in fact I’d like to take this opportunity to thank those from the dance society who made me realize what am made of…thanx for helping me BE ME….
Back to top Go down
Sahil

Sahil

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 9:25 pm

@ devi...well...frankly, am in that situation all over again...dunno abt u tho... just too uncertain...too unclear...
Back to top Go down
devinair

devinair

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 2:17 am

sahil trust me im still stuck there ....no developments happenin my side !!!! anyways lol....

MY PLEASURE!!! hey nikita its nice to hear tht ur happy gal and your true personality has come to light...these days everythin is judged on the basis of materialistic values..as the saying goes ppl are made so that they are loved and things are made to be used but in today's world the confusion is that things are loved and ppl are used !!! ....No

...I guess the only way to stop brooding and be "normal" is by accepting the fact ....as the buddist teaching says.."the world is afflicted with death and decay, therefore the wise do not grieve knowing the terms of the world " ...well in other words it means GET USED TO IT !!! lol

Last edited by on Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nikhita

Nikhita

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 2:20 am

girl...you are so ryt...get used to it!!! but the problem with me is that i soo can't take wats happening around me soo easily...i dunno why but i have to react...and dat's the reason behind the miseries of life....sob sob!!
Back to top Go down
devinair

devinair

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 2:32 am

thts true but U know wht one thing i learnt is to KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT durin such situations ...the dog tht barks solemn bites sweetie heheh ......let those losers do their talkin ....cheers
Back to top Go down
Nikhita

Nikhita

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 2:33 am

thats the big issue...i really can't keep teh trap shut!!!!
Back to top Go down
devinair

devinair

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 2:40 am

What can i say?? BE YOURSELF AND KEEP ROCKIN GAL!!!!

cheers Wink
Back to top Go down
Nikhita

Nikhita

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 2:44 am

yea...that's wat i have been doing...using the trap aptly...for letting teh losers know what they are...m havin fun!!hehe
Back to top Go down
supriya

supriya

Female Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 1:44 am

zats a neat topic u put up zere devi...kudos!Very Happy

first day in my college was absolutely wonderful...better than i had expected it to be....infact the entire month was one good surprise after another....i met like-minded people.pig ..got along with the un-like-minded ppl as well...alien ..was in a completely new course so had no idea what i was getting into....it was one new discovery after another...one surprise package after another......the crowd was bindaas, the teachers double-bindaas...n the seniors were good to us too...since our college is one lil building...everybody knows everybody...so became a known face in college in no time at all......i thot life was going to be a smoooth roller-coaster thereon...

thats wat i thot:roll:

suddenly, all of a sudden, a bolt of lightning struck....

all those outings with pals, the hanging-outings at cafe terrace,the classes, the discussions, the assignments, the canteen food, the cats of the building, everything seemed to lose meaning...nothing seemed to make sense

there was just too much noise all around me.....all the gossip, the chatter, the lecture was nothing less than plain noise.....
to everything, i would just ask....whats the point? whats the point? tell me the bloody point?????
all the work...all the talks...everything i did seemed to lose their point....and i was getting consumed in the pointlessness of it all....my life...my aim...my purpose...it was all a haze...a blurry haze

i disconnected frm my friends...i stopped talking to my family....i wud bunk my classes and run off, alone to someplace in cp...seeking solace in solidarity.....i was falling in a bottomless pit where all u could see was darkness and all u could hear was noise....it just wudnt stop….

So life was an aimless journey…all I could see was a long winding treelined road with everything in its place….the cars rolling, people strolling, a dog or cat or two there…my circumstances were gr8…things were running smooth around me…

But I was experiencing hell…within

The point im trying to make here is this

Sometimes it takes a lot fer u to go through to understand or to open ur eyes to urself…to c within urself.. to realize things abt ur ppl n urself

While at other times, all it takes is a new environment

For me all it took was the first 6 months in zis big black glass building…which is my dear old college….

So first year experience

Its different

njoii it!

pirat
Back to top Go down
http://www.quirkysup.blogspot.com
Nikhita

Nikhita

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 1:52 am

seems liek a similar story sup!!!
Back to top Go down
supriya

supriya

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 2:02 am

yup...which is why i took ze trouble to write!
Back to top Go down
Nikhita

Nikhita

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 2:06 am

so next time we meet...we both will take the trouble TO DISCUSS!!
Back to top Go down
supriya

supriya

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 2:30 am

right on mish:)
Back to top Go down
devinair

devinair

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 7:17 pm

count me in!!!! heheh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Being a college fresher   Being a college fresher Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Being a college fresher
Page 1 of 1