Campus18 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Campus18 Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interfaith marriages

Go down 
+17
jamshed
smriti d
adi
Runjhun
psyflyinhigh
thoughtstorm
vaibhavab
amrit_jmi
Catty
ankit govil
Ritwik
pal_nandini
Nikhita
ankita
samridhi
Pragya
sparsh_shaggy
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ritwik

Ritwik

Male Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-06-16

Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 11:22 pm

Catty wrote:
we SHUD think above caste and religion, but we DONT. i personally have no inhibitions 'bout caste and faith, but i can name a number of my frends who DO. i mean, muslims are treated as filth in this country, and only my being in a muslim dominated college made me realize how bad the situation ACTUALLY is. and lets face it......fanatism in india is on the rise

Your point being?
Back to top Go down
http://www.unitedstudents.in
Catty

Catty

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 11:30 pm

my point being dat more and more ppl are payin attention to faith being a basis for freindship, let alone marraige
Back to top Go down
Ritwik

Ritwik

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 11:32 pm

Catty wrote:
my point being dat more and more ppl are payin attention to faith being a basis for freindship, let alone marraige

Any theories on why might that be happening ?
Back to top Go down
Catty

Catty

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 11:36 pm

well, nope.... its happenin all aroundme but as to WHY, im completely flummoxed
Back to top Go down
amrit_jmi

amrit_jmi

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 11:36 pm

hmm this just a theory...but there is increasing alientation between religious communities in terms of the values or modes of behaviour that are being passed on to the younger generation...i know for a fact that in the heart of Uttar Pradesh both muslim and hindu youth are being imbibed with values of 'us' and 'them'...

and as to why they are being imbibed wid such values...altho this may sound like im passing the buck to the generation before us...but in some way the fact remains that around the generation of our grandparents there were strong sentiments of hindu vs. muslim....theirs was a time when india had been divided on the lines of religion....

furthermore theirs is also a generation whose prime was when the concept of "no-caste" or removal of caste barriers did not even exist....it is plausible that many of such values will be passed on or seep through to the current generation as well....
Back to top Go down
Catty

Catty

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 11:39 pm

well, distinctions between religeons are made in our very laws....everyone DOES say dat india is a secular nation, but which secular nation has seperate divorce laws for hindus, muslims, christians, etc etc...?
Back to top Go down
Pragya

Pragya

Female Number of posts : 795
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 11:43 pm

India is secular only on paper..our country is full of pseudo secularists.
Back to top Go down
Catty

Catty

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 11:47 pm

yea, they'r pro-secularism (if dats a word) if and wen it suits them
Back to top Go down
vaibhavab

Male Number of posts : 190

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 3:19 am

Anybody for uniform civil code?
Back to top Go down
thoughtstorm

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 4:28 am

inter-faith marriages are alright, coz religion is just a means to know which GOD you might want to worship, and should not be the basis for whom do you want to spend your lifetime with.

but the glitch with inter-faith marriages is that both partners must be open to either of the religious beliefs, and the children must not be compelled to follow a particular religion. but somehow, they are tough to maintain, as it demans a lot of adjustments, specially when social gatherings are being attended. more so, for the woman, cuzthe cliche expects her to adjust, no matter what!
Back to top Go down
samridhi

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 6:22 pm

well.. vaibhav if we did have a uniform civil code, we'd all be more or less the same.it would kill diversity of our culture. (just a thought .wat say?)
Back to top Go down
samridhi

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 6:26 pm

i also think catty misunderstands (love his name, reminds me of one too) a secular nation. a secular nation is one that has people of all religions, all practising their own faith.it's not the law that has made different divorce laws for different religions, but the different religions choosing their own divorce laws.
Back to top Go down
vaibhavab

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 8:26 pm

altho i have not thought over it much, as is evident from the way i mentioned it and did not advocate it, i would like to know how will it kill diversity of our culture?

to broaden my knowledge, sam. Dont take it otherwise.
Back to top Go down
samridhi

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 10:11 pm

hmm...ok. what makes hinduism what it is today?or islam like we know it?hinduism is know for it's elaborate rituals,it's connection with yoga,a lady wearing a bindi would also automatically tell you that she is a hindu! right?similarly for oher religions other practices, belief would tell u their religions flower .now marriage practices and divorce laws are also each religions own.they have evolved their own way of carrying on these important activities.rendeer that is exactly what makes them different from each other.even if it is sumthing as small as divorce laws. only if we alllow each religion to have their own practices will we truley be secular.being uniform will be boring naa? (Convincing?)queen
Back to top Go down
vaibhavab

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 12:10 am

Nope!
Not entirely convincing. Smile
Im sure even if there is uniform civil code, the marriages and the rituals would go on the same way. Hindu ladies would continue to wear their bindis and the people of the other religions would continue with their customs.

And, divorce laws are no small issues.
Back to top Go down
samridhi

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 4:28 pm

come on vaibhav,hindu ladies wearing bindis was just an example.m saying that the divorce laws of each religion have evolved over a period of time, that are special to their own.
Back to top Go down
psyflyinhigh

psyflyinhigh

Male Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 7:06 pm

hey all u peoples we r talkin abt intercaste marriages abt constitution, all other people who dont hve nythng related to us then also cum in between but wat abt our home our family wat u all thnk r dey goin 2 accept and abt constitution of india its gonna accept as i know but our families der r very rare families who accept this but many almost all families dont accept however many of them act as open minded and all those stupid thngs who's gonna go let our parents know and explain our situatuation m too had brkup for this and really payin 4 tht
Back to top Go down
Ritwik

Ritwik

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2007 4:54 pm

vaibhavab wrote:
Anybody for uniform civil code?

me.
Back to top Go down
vaibhavab

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 12:31 am

Cool. We have some takers for the Uniform civil code.

@goodieshadab
Brother please use the full stop. there is not a single full stop in your last post. could not understand what u said! Smile
Back to top Go down
Runjhun

Runjhun

Female Number of posts : 578

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 12:36 am

C'mon !!
Back to top Go down
adi

adi

Male Number of posts : 143

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 10:22 pm

uniform civil code-has to come into existence...for equity sake...
intercaste marriage...interfaith marriage...no prob abt them...well since my parents has an intercaste marriage so i wont have a prob there...but the inter faith thing is a prob...you can try but that generation always has that glitch no matter how educated they are...weird...on a lighter note i wud like to enjoy both the ceremonies of the different castes if i had an interfaith marriage...sala do baar nachenge!!!!
Back to top Go down
smriti d

smriti d

Female Number of posts : 150

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 6:14 pm

nikhita wrote-he said sumthin that is even worse..."every terrorist is a muslim"

who said this ya?i wud like to know who has such a strong religious prejudice...
Back to top Go down
smriti d

smriti d

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 6:17 pm

exactly!i completely agree wid adi...i think dat shud be d spirit wen it cums to a topic like dis..
Back to top Go down
smriti d

smriti d

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 6:26 pm

Catty wrote:
well, distinctions between religeons are made in our very laws....everyone DOES say dat india is a secular nation, but which secular nation has seperate divorce laws for hindus, muslims, christians, etc etc...?

In a country like ours with diverse cultures we have to have separate laws for different religions as they have different customs.muslims are allowed by their faith to have upto 4 marriages,but this can't be allowed by the Hindu Marriage Act,and even their divorce proceedings are different.So thats the reason why we can't have a common marriage law.
Back to top Go down
Nikhita

Nikhita

Female Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 9:41 pm

smriti...ankit govil...said that...refer to the terrorists section!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interfaith marriages   Interfaith marriages - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interfaith marriages
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Campus18 Forum :: Miscellaneous :: The Discussion Panel-
Jump to: