Campus18 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Campus18 Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

random thoughts...my BLOG

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vaibhavab

Male Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2007-06-22

random thoughts...my BLOG Empty
PostSubject: random thoughts...my BLOG   random thoughts...my BLOG Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 9:33 pm

"FATHER, SON AND A WHOLE LOT OF AFFECTION"

Although not too much of a K Jo fan, one of his flicks did strike a chord with me. It was Kabhie khushi kabhie gham, spelt with those inexplicable extra E's. The movie's catchline, "its all about loving your parents" proved to be the clincher. In the movie, Amitabh Bachchan in that deep baritone of his, says something like its normal for a mother to express her love for her son and for a son to express his love for his mother by hugging and the usual gestures but its very difficult for a father or a son to express their love for each other by hugging or pecking each other.

During a rare frank discussion with my mother, I told her how peeved I was with my father because of the way he just turned down one of my request without even looking into the merits and demerits of it. My mother after initially squirming at the thought of siding with me against her husband, finally ended the session with a depressed look uttering something which sounded like, "we cannot even fulfill the demands of our children." The session only helped in making me feel guilty about telling her all about what transpired between father and me.

Parents are representatives of God on earth, they say. Well, the proverb doesn't really mention parents but mothers, but I do not think fathers are any less. Our parents do so much for us throughout their lives. They bring us into this world, feed us, teach us and help us stand up on our feet. Our entire value system is formed by what we have seen and heard at home. The way our parents behave with each other, and the world outside, moulds our behaviour. One can go on and on about the contributions of our parents. Its sad that some ungrateful fools actually turn against their parents at the time when they need it the most, in their old age. It was summed up beautifully by Leonid S. Sukhorukov, "We start off playing with our babies, but they end up toying with us.

Parent's day , mother's day or father's day is not round the corner but one does not need any special day to express their love and gratitude to their parents.I still remember the time my mother spent in making me understand that the key to spell correctly was to understand the sounds of the words, way back in primary classes. The lesson was instilled so nicely into me that never in my whole life have I had difficulty with spellings. I also remember the day my father changed the 'Champak' subscription from hindi to English and the fit I threw thereafter. Its all because of small events like these that I have reached somewhere in life. I never acknowledge your efforts in front of you, but that does not mean that I do not recognize them. Thanks a ton ma and pa, you mean the world to me.
Back to top Go down
radhika

radhika

Female Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: random thoughts...my BLOG   random thoughts...my BLOG Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2007 2:36 pm

that makes a whole lot of sense!
Back to top Go down
vaibhavab

Male Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: random thoughts...my BLOG   random thoughts...my BLOG Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2007 10:00 pm

WELCOME TO STEPHENS

courtesy: REV. THAMPU

Reservations and quotas seem to be the much used and even more abused tools of the authorities these days. The stir created by the 27.5% reservation for OBC’s had not even settled when the whole of Northern India was held to ransom by the Gujjars and the Meenas , with one group demanding up gradation from one list to another and the other group opposing it. And as soon as the issue was settled, came the announcement from the oh-so-prestigious St.Stephens College, declaring a 10% reservation for the Dalit Christians, effectively leaving just 40% of its seats for the general category students.

Immediately following the announcement by the College, countless talk shows and debates have been organized by the various news channels (which, by the way are springing up like mushrooms in the rainy season lol! ). Many of the illustrious alumni of the esteemed institution have vociferously protested against the move, and the man against the move, Rev.Thampu.

The question being put up by everyone is that the move will alter the very character of the institution, its ethos and its values. Although being staunchly against reservations and quotas, I find this reason a little far fetched. If 50% reservation, that was being followed till now, did not alter the character and the ethos, how will a further 10% reservation do it, is beyond my comprehension.

Another issue that was being raised was that the standards of excellence that the college has achieved would be compromised when students are admitted on the basis of their being Dalit Christians, rather than on merit. I was quite convinced by this argument, till I heard what Rev.Thampu had to say about it. He said that merit, in itself is not objective but subjective. A student of say, DPS RK Puram, having a 95%, with the help of the excellent faculty he has at his school to guide him, the exorbitantly over-paid coaching institute to fine tune him and the zillions of costly books that he has access to, MAY have the same merit as a student who has studied all his life in the small village school, which barely manages to run and has a few and ill-qualified teachers, who has tattered and outdated older editions of even the basic textbooks, but has still managed a 75% in his exams. It is the duty of the institution to provide the latter a chance to realize his potential by giving him the best possible facilities.

The greatness of an educational institution is not in taking in 95% per centers and churning out toppers in the university exams. It lies in making the 75% per center able enough to get a 95%
Back to top Go down
Anannya

Anannya

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: random thoughts...my BLOG   random thoughts...my BLOG Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 9:19 pm

Well , i better start my binging session soon again !!! I'll be able to deliver better or rather more enthralling excogitations relating to the food i stuff into my already exhausted stomach !!! lol

P.S. - I had one today too !!! uufff.....stomach boggling !!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: random thoughts...my BLOG   random thoughts...my BLOG Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

random thoughts...my BLOG
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Campus18 Forum :: Blogs :: General Blogs-
Jump to: