Campus18 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Campus18 Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the forgettable ride

Go down 
+2
dcemaverick
supriya
6 posters
AuthorMessage
supriya

supriya

Female Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2007-06-05

the forgettable ride Empty
PostSubject: the forgettable ride   the forgettable ride Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 12:35 am

It came in 2003 and it came with a bang. It took the city by the storm by its promises to give a slight relief from the highly overcharging and pricey autowallahs and the ever-congested buses. Yes…. the sleek, speedy coach called the ‘metro train’ became the brand new buzz in town. It certainly was a wonderful whiff of fresh air.

When it first came, everything was in top condition. All counters were fully functional, the checking was strict and regular and no problem of overcrowding either. In fact, the impact of the metro was such that all ‘metro-friendly’ areas became the new hang-out zones for people. Connaught Place would top the list for its sheer convenience of commuting. Rajouri Garden suddenly opened a plethora of swanky malls right next to the metro station. India Gate became more accessible. Life became hunky-dory for the delhites.

Four years have passed. It is quite aptly said that new things wear away with time. Same holds true for the great Delhi Metro. The charm has worn off. Here’s how.

Ticket Counters: There are at least three of these at every station. Only one functions. Reason? The rest are on leave.

Checking: They look at you and they let you pass. They touch your bag and they let you pass. I could be carrying a ton of RDX for all they care. And that’s the point. THEY DON’T CARE.

No toilets available

The train: And this is the best of the worst. I’ll recount a forgettable experience.

It was a Monday evening. The blueline buses were off the roads. I waited for about half-an-hour for my turn. I bought the token and went to the platform. The sight was terrible. The place was swarming with people. Seemes as if the whole city wanted to board that particular metro towards Dwarka at the same time.

The train arrived. Those sitting, stood up and those already standing, stood straighter. After all they were prepapring themselves for the ‘Great Battle of Space.’

The train stopped. There they were, standing on the other side, the 2-second enemy. A glass door separated us. With shields held tightly (read bags, books, files and phones), the two sides took a deep breath.

The glass doors opened. Inside crashed out and the outside crashed in. Like a humungous wave, they swept off each other and knocked them out. I was getting late. Couldn’t afford to go on the next. Somehow I pushed my way through. As soon as I entered I was engulfed in the suffocation and the stench mingled with sweat of all those around me. Suddenly, I discovered my feet were’nt on the ground. I was sandwiched between a fat lady and an equally fat man to the extent that I was lifted in the air! The stench kept me shut. And to add to my woes, the train stopped four times due to overloading!

My station arrived and I gave a muffled yelp. I came flying out the train, tripped and fell. I thanked and thanked the divine force for helping me get out of the hell.

So the metro has indeed made our living convenient, but if I have to go through this experience again….I swear I’ll never enter it even if somebody pays me 10 grand for it. And a perennially broke girl saying this….its something!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.quirkysup.blogspot.com
dcemaverick

dcemaverick

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: the forgettable ride   the forgettable ride Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 5:07 pm

checking:delhi metro is the only mrts in d world that does it!
Believe it!

busy:still ain t dat bad.....try the mumbai local....even london is a tough ride

etc
etc

i interned wid dmrc and found out human rights and environmental norms being flouted. not to mention deadlines being missed....

india hai bhai
kum se kum ac to chalta hai!
Back to top Go down
supriya

supriya

PostSubject: Re: the forgettable ride   the forgettable ride Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 5:32 pm

even that din work for a day in the metro!
Back to top Go down
pratham_sharma

Male Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-08-04

PostSubject: Re: the forgettable ride   the forgettable ride Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 11:37 pm

common who vll need a toilet 4 a mere 40 minute ride..in case den dey hav toilets at every alternate stations before u enter in...ragarding d boardng d train ethics..dude INDIAN wll take years long to learn dat...
Back to top Go down
ankuj_sifar

ankuj_sifar

Male Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-07-10

PostSubject: Re: the forgettable ride   the forgettable ride Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 12:03 am

right on

evenn if there is a mad rush,it can be piped down by basic civic manners ...like lettin the people deboard before boardin it....bt INDIANS to nawab hain bhai.....token thodi liya hai..poori train khareed li hai....why would they heed 2 manners??

if uv ever bn on the underground side...u wudnt even need to move ur grummy paws to board or deboard....jst stand in front a 10 ppl....automatic andar ya bahar ho jaoge....

TECNOLOGY...u see....
Back to top Go down
pratham_sharma

Male Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-08-04

PostSubject: Re: the forgettable ride   the forgettable ride Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 1:11 am

ankuj rght said.....
Back to top Go down
adi

adi

Male Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: the forgettable ride   the forgettable ride Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 2:17 pm

tell me about it lady...metro has been in calcutta for 15 yrs approx...and i have travelled in ti almost everyday for years...the rush ,the service...not all that good...but i still take it to save myself from the killer roads...
Back to top Go down
supriya

supriya

PostSubject: Re: the forgettable ride   the forgettable ride Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 12:09 am

ello ppl...thanks fer yer expert comments......

@pratham....toilet is a very basic neccessity...n plz dont get into the '40 minute ride' thing on rides in metro...nature can call on u anytime anyplace....n any decent place wud have at least a toilet in place...checkout ze metro stations of hong-kong and japan...they got their basic conditions right..itna toh kar he sakte hain

@ankuj.....the civic question talk is a diff thing altogether...manners toh kisi mein hai he nahi...n today itself i travelled in the metro again n experienced a similar incident that i mentioned above.....the number of people traveeling on it is just increasing.....n they simply got to increase the capacity of their trains...

@adi.....not arguing on anyfink with u mate....even i prefer the metro to the buses n autos any day ....all i say is...it shudnt go the same way as the delhi roads have gone....
Back to top Go down
ritika.suri

ritika.suri

Female Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-07-02

PostSubject: Re: the forgettable ride   the forgettable ride Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 12:24 am

i lik it ... my fave part being "I was sandwiched between a fat lady and an equally fat man to the extent that I was lifted in the air!" n yeah ur rite i reeally hope d delhi metro dsnt becom lik d rpads! n they definately need to do bout the number of ppl who climb on the metro every time ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the forgettable ride   the forgettable ride Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the forgettable ride
Page 1 of 1