Campus18 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Campus18 Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To give or not to give: a dilemma within

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AnIsHa RaLhAn

AnIsHa RaLhAn

Female Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2007-07-28

To give or not to give: a dilemma within Empty
PostSubject: To give or not to give: a dilemma within   To give or not to give: a dilemma within Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 11:42 pm

Anisha Ralhan
Crippled hands seeking your attention, tattered clothes on amputated bodies, desperate eyes – that stirs emotions, blessings on the lips for your bright future - a common sight at most of the traffic signals and bus stations. Struggling for life in the shackles of poverty, more than lakhs of unfortunate ones bring us into a constant dilemma, to give or not to give alms?
According to the 2001 census, over six lakh beggars dwell in slums and squatters across the country out of which, the number of child beggars is growing by the day.
Often trained by their parents they are ready to dance, clean window panes and even cling to your shirts in the most pleading manner forcing you to hand over a rupee or two.
"Most of the children are trafficked by organized gangs in connivance with the police and administration including railway and other transport authorities. Their agents identify regions that are poverty ridden and calamity-hit and offer them some money to the poor people, coerce, deceive the ignorant parents and lure away innocent children, “says Kailash Satyarthi of Bachpan Bachao Andolan, an NGO working for street children.
"Many times children are kidnapped as well. Since it's quite a lucrative and illicit business, the children are trained systematically, brainwashed and threatened. They are mercilessly beaten up and crippled, starved and kept half-naked.
"The estimated amount earned by beggars varies from Rs. 50 to Rs 300 per day in different cities. But, none of the money goes to the child beggar, except a miniscule amount in the form of cash or food" he adds.
Despite a ban on begging through acts introduced in various states, for instance the Bombay Prevention of Begging Act, 1959 which came into force in the Union Territory of Delhi on 1st March 1961, beggars are seldom arrested or those who give alms are fined points out a senior Delhi police officer.
"Beggars are rarely arrested because the police have less time and limited manpower. We are engaged in other serious crimes but we keep a check on the criminal racket of beggar squatters like Sultanpuri," he says.
"According to a police survey in 2004, majority of the handicapped beggars were found to be drug addicts and begged to buy liquor and grass outside Hanuman Mandir and Bhairon Singh Mandir," he adds.
"The modus operandi of beggars these days is to organize themselves in groups of six or seven, where children begin to knock car windows, and as soon as the drivers get down to prevent him, his fellows steal things like cell phones and laptops in vehicle," he adds.
Keeping the laws on one side, everybody have their heart-touching encounters with the unfortunate ones, "I feel sorry for the beggars, and get unnerved by their curse, which makes me give them money," says Richa Choudhary, a student.
Giving alms to beggar depends upon many factors for people, like the age and condition of the beggar, the place and his looks. "I avoid giving money to young and physically sound people, but don't mind giving it to a kid and an old beggar" says Sushil Vir, trader in the capital.
"If I am near a food stall I purchase something to eat and give it to the child beggars" says Simi Relan, a school teacher
"The idea is to help the needy, but one is unable to differentiate between beggars who are genuinely disabled and need help and those who beg out of choice, this results in a great dilemma" says Bhavesh Mukhija, student in Mumbai
"Over 500 beggars including 200 children from allover the city comes to beg on Tuesday and Saturday. I personally stand against the concept of giving cash to them, but I am sympathetic towards the needy ones, the government should make provisions to identify the genuine ones and help them," says Pandit Dev Chand Mishra at Hanuman Mandir
Beggars can't be choosers, says who? A lady outside the mandir claims to be a diabetic patient who asks for chappati and dal from those who offer sweets to her. Migrated from Rai Bareily the 60-year-old lady fled from her village after her sons took over her property and disowned her, was forced to beg to fill her stomach.
While some complaint that police is not cooperative to safeguard their interests.” I came to Hanuman Mandir to run a small time business, as I setup a small stall, police wrapped it up and asked me a sum of Rs 500, a poor man like me could not afford it and so was left no option but to beg,” says an old beggar who lost all his belongings in 2001 Bhuj earthquake.
To empathize or ignore, to be practical or emotional, head ruling the heart or vice-versa, the dilemma continues, as long as poor are forced to opt begging to sustain their lives
Back to top Go down
AnIsHa RaLhAn

AnIsHa RaLhAn

Female Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2007-07-28

PostSubject: Re: To give or not to give: a dilemma within   To give or not to give: a dilemma within Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 11:41 pm

soooo wat de ye havta say bout dis...
Back to top Go down
mandeepchadha85

mandeepchadha85

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-07-26

PostSubject: Re: To give or not to give: a dilemma within   To give or not to give: a dilemma within Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 11:57 pm

u no i actually wrote a long reply to ths post but then stupid power cut....huh....dint feel like typin nethngagain ...neways me writting again..

its really shocking dat in a country like India, a superpower and soon to be "Developed" country, we still c ppl begging on the roads, dat too in the capital itself....don blame it on those rich CEOs sitting in the offices and not doin nethng, blame it on the government and its ineffectiveness..don blame it on someone who gives a rupee to an old man crawling on the road or a hungry kid, saying dat it encourages begging, rather blame it on the police which is too blind to c ppl being forced into the most inhuman business of begging...if i c a man dying on the road bcoz of hunger, i d be very happy to give him money or buy him a meal rather than trying to figure out dat if he is a genuine needy or not...wat if the next time when u cross the same traffic signal, u find him lying dead on the road??....how would u feel to have that guilt in u dat u could have saved his life, but just bcoz of ur ignorance, he is dead now...???...wat say??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To give or not to give: a dilemma within   To give or not to give: a dilemma within Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Campus18 Forum :: Blogs :: General Blogs-
Jump to: