Campus18 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Campus18 Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Time We Talk About Drugs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
amrit_jmi

amrit_jmi

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-07-05

Time We Talk About Drugs Empty
PostSubject: Time We Talk About Drugs   Time We Talk About Drugs Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 10:00 pm

i was reading this post here where someone suggested that we ought to try out new leaders in our country....and gave sachin pilot as one of the suggested names...

then someone else mentioned that sachin pilot smoke marijuana and the formers reply was "really is he that bad?"

so this got me thinking that we need a discussion on this too now....lets hear wat u all got to say....

what do u know about drugs? which drugs? what do u think about drugs? what do u know about drug use and drug abuse? lets bring on the posts....

on my part i am going to provide here information from quoted sources regarding various sources....to let people decide for themselves....because i believe that today its not enough to tell the youth that drugs are bad...we need to know why they are bad...because if they are bad why did a great mind like Aldous Huxley write an entire book about his experience on mescaline? why did a brilliant psychologist at harvard advocate LSD as a solution to alcoholism? What is the grey between the black and white that is given to us? let us solve these questions together
Back to top Go down
Nikhita

Nikhita

Female Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Time We Talk About Drugs   Time We Talk About Drugs Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 3:07 am

according to whatever lil i know, i think drug addiction is more about the mind than nethin else (someone in sum blog quoted it as fashionable!!)...and theirs a lot more to using drugs than jus trying them for fun!!! sumone really close to me is hooked onto drugs and i know why and what led to him becoming an addict...instead of lukin down upon sumone who takes drugs..i think we should try and find out whythat person's taking then and then help him out of the same!!
Back to top Go down
Reverie

Reverie

Female Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2007-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Time We Talk About Drugs   Time We Talk About Drugs Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 3:32 am

when i used to smoke, i experimented a lot. with lame stuff like crushed candies(suweeet), leaves(dont work)... grass.
grass didn't affect me.
i didn't 'keep off' it and had it twice.

until, i heard from some one that drugs affect you in the head. the little memory i have, i consider it precious. and not only leapt over grass, but stopped listening to the 'drugs dont work' etc. (i'm only telling how scared i got).
Back to top Go down
amrit_jmi

amrit_jmi

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Time We Talk About Drugs   Time We Talk About Drugs Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 11:17 am

hmm but see this is what i am talking about.....nikhita u say that some1 who u noe is "hooked on" to drugs....but wat drugs?? this is the point i am tryin to put across....

let us take 2 drugs....cocaine and heroin....or even cocaine and marijuana.....they are as different as chalk and cheese...if not more....is it really fair to club them in one category? such short sightedness is understandable in governments and politicians...but not in us....do u see wat i am trying to say?

yes i agree with u wen u say that we should not look down upon one addicted to drugs....let me give u the example of 2 nations the USA and the Netherlands

the policy of the USA is a "War on Drugs" which as been going on since around the 1920s which is when marijuana first arrived in the USA from Mexico....despite such a name and equally intensive efforst USA continues to suffer from drug abuse related problems which range to even murder and rape. Mind you not all drugs lead u to killing sum1 for money or raping some1 for pleasure....chalk and cheese do different things

now the policy of the Netherlands is "Effective Drug Control" ...here a distinction is made between Hard Drugs (cocaine, heroin etc.) and Soft Drugs (marijuana, magic mushrooms etc.) . Some soft drugs like marijuana are in fact available over the counter at "coffee shops" in amsterdam....for people addicted to hard drugs there are mobile addiction centers....moving vans where addicts can come and get their fix in a safe and clean environment so that they do not resort to robbery or muder or do not fall prey to diseases that come with using unclean syringes...

what is the basis of this distinction between hard drugs and soft drugs? Hard drugs are the ones that are really addictive....there is a difference between addiction and dependency....while soft drugs like marijuana undoubtedly can cause dependency they do not really go on to cause addiction....mushrooms cause neither....but drugs like cocaine and heroin...with which are associated syringes...are highly addictive....

by being more sensible about it netherlands has achieved a much more successful drug policy....the teenage drug abuse rate over there is proportionally much lower than that in the USA with its much publicissed War on Drugs....

netherlands also differentiates between drug use and drug abuse....hard drugs are more prone to cause drug abuse....soft drugs are easier to fall under just drug use....

i am frankly a little surprised that neither of u showed any curiosity when i said the people like Aldous Huxley and a Harvard psychologist (Tim Leary) advocated the use of certain drugs....u see if we want to "help them out of the same" then we need to convince them that we understand them completely....

there are many drug users who are not addicted and who have never tried any of the hard drugs....they lead completely normal lives...if u meet them u wud never know that they smoke pot for example...bt yet if u find that out ur impression of them will change completely will it not? how are u going to reach out to them? do u noe their point of view? are they even worth listening to in ur view? such questions i believe are becoming more pressing as time goes on....remember the bust in pune with 250 students? most of them were detected with soft drugs....not cocaine...not heroin...they were educated and presumably sensible...what drove them there and why? they know the answers...but do we? because they form a large part of a generation that is soon going to govern this nation....
Back to top Go down
Nikhita

Nikhita

Female Number of posts : 1492

PostSubject: Re: Time We Talk About Drugs   Time We Talk About Drugs Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 12:29 am

the person i was talking about started with a cough syrup, movign on to wat is called 'grass' these days....he went ahead and tried LSD, Asid, Heroine, Cocaine....i think he probably tried everything he could lay his hands upon....so high was the addiction that he forged his dad's signature and stole money just to but these drugs (which am sure you know are pretty expensive!!)....his family came to know about it, and was later sent to rehabilitation too...was clean for liek 5 months, but again after he returned, he really couldn't keep clean for a long time....i have seen him recuperating from the after effects of having heroine and trust me...it seemed really painful...god knows what he was goin thru...

so basically what i mean to say is hard drugs or soft drugs...addiction to them doesn't really take you a long way!!
Back to top Go down
dcemaverick

dcemaverick

Number of posts : 117

PostSubject: Re: Time We Talk About Drugs   Time We Talk About Drugs Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2007 8:30 pm

well.........there s no man without an "addiction".......it could be as harmless as foods ,habits(like biting your nails),sex,masturbation and of course drugs ,alcohol and cigarettes.Even work and laziness are addictive!I once heard my history teacher tell me once that Japanese families are unstable as the men are workaholics.Weird no!

Addiction to anything gives your character a weak link.It leads to lack of control over one s senses and disrupts one from thinking and acting rationally.

You have to be able to control "losing yourself" .I remember waching LN Mittal's interview once .He remarked that he had taken a liking to golf and would go every weekend.But he felt he was beginning to like it too much.And he left it as he didn t want it to grow on him and let himself get addicted to it.I m sure he has certain addictions too.Maybe its making money! And this is rather extreme really.But one must learn to exercise control over oneself in any situation. You don t know when the paucity of that what you are dependent on goes missing and you find yourself helpless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time We Talk About Drugs   Time We Talk About Drugs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time We Talk About Drugs
Page 1 of 1