Campus18 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Campus18 Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

They say i am a fundamentalist....

Go down 
+8
Ritwik
amrit_jmi
Vineet Modi
Pragya
dcemaverick
samridhi
vaibhavab
anukampagupta
12 posters
AuthorMessage
anukampagupta

anukampagupta

Female Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-06-13

They say i am a fundamentalist.... Empty
PostSubject: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 3:32 am

They say I am a fundamentalist...

"Why???", I question.

"You are promoting ill feelings, u r praising your religion", they said.

"What's the harm! What wrong am i doing?", i remark furiously.

"That is why u are a fundamentalist. U ask us what's wrong in doing so. In an already heated atmosphere, and with people like you around we will never be able to bridge the gap, never can we have peace in this world", they pointed.

They departed.

MY CASE:

If I preach my religion, I am alleged of being a fundamentalist.
On the other hand if XYZ does so, since they come from a "SO CALLED" minority community they are considered to spread their message.

Why am I a fundamentalist???
Because i tell people what the Bhagwag Gita is all about and because i am highly critical of M.F.Hussain.

Other reasons of my being termed a fundamentalist:
I promise myself, that i will teach my kids lessons from the Ramanaya and the Mahabharata. I will tell them history of our Upnishads and the Vedas.
I promise myself to enrich them with the rich heritage that is associated with their religion.

I am a fundamentalist because...
I am trying to reach those who have in totality forgotten about their roots. People who belong to my age-group, to be precise. I try to tell them that we have a rich heritage and we can very PURELY "flaunt" it. I am a fundamentalist because I "wear" it, my religion. I am trying to learn its scientific aspects and present them to the world.

I am a fundamentailst because....
I do not approve of the Congress. Not that i am blinded by the others.

I am a fundamentalist because....
i say --the word secular is a slap in the face of the constitution.

i say that the state should adopt an official religion. In strict terms, it should be hinduism. The simple reason---my motherland was divided on the question caste between the .... community and the .... community.

when am asked ---
as of why am I a vegetarian.. i simply say--my religion doesnt permit me to be "inhuman" enough and bring pain to another creature.
An "awe" is all that i witness.

i have learnt the holy bible by heart, still i profess the Bhagwad Gita.

I make it a point to raise my voice when i see ..... resorting to conversions by ....... .

I am concerned, of every single soul who makes an entry into my place of worship. I do so because I have a strong belief that like-minded people get associated to like-minded things/places.

By writing this i am presenting to everyone "my" take on "my" religion, my belief. And mind it, i am creating awareness about my religion.

I shall end with a simple example.
Why is it that a child who comes out from a convent knows about the Holy Bible, and why is it that a child who comes from a non-convent is alien to Bhagwad Gita.

For the simple reason... that they are taught. They are taught their religion.. and when i preach mine... i am a fundamentalist.

Jai Ho "ARJUNIA ISLAMIA MILIA."

NOTE: I was a little scared after writing the slogan above. I thought a fatwa would be carried out in my name as well. TIll the time that happens... I shall Continue with... Jai Ho.. St. Stephens College ki.

Last edited by on Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://daughteroftheearth.blogspot.com/
vaibhavab

Male Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 3:16 pm

cheers cheers APPLAUD!!! SOME MORE APPLAUD!!!cheers

you have no idea how much you have endeared yourself to me by writing this post.
Precisely my feelings, expressed somewhat differently from me, although brilliantly.
We preach our religion because we consider it worthy of it. Hinduism teaches us to live together in harmony. It does not say that Our God is the only God, nor does it say that the one who does not believe in Him will be condemned to eternal hell.
We respect other religions and also our own.

"I am a fundamentailst because....
I do not approve of the Congress. Not that i am blinded by the others."
Precisely. there is no custodian of Hinduism. Those who say so, are ignorant and those who believe them, even more. Hinduism is a way of life. Read Nehru's Discovery of India for a better idea.(those who disagree)

"I am a fundamentalist because...
i have learnt the holy bible by heart, still i profess the Bhagwad Gita."
Im still in the process of reading The Holy Bible...havent started with The Bhagwad Gita, because in my years of existence, the lessons imparted and the values impounded by The Gita have been instilled in me by my family and elders. (Thank You Dadi!)
I believe the bible and the gita are the most relevant books in the present scenario.

P.S. Who were these people who termed you a fundamentalist? bird-brained they must have been.
Back to top Go down
samridhi

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 4:03 pm

some use of rhetorics i must say anu, though i do not agree with u at some places.
Back to top Go down
dcemaverick

dcemaverick

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 8:36 pm

Interestin stuf kampa....u spoke ur mind certainly.
Right to profess the religion of one s choice is a fundamental right. it is alright if u preach it .i m glad that u do it.

There s however ,i feel,an entire canyon between being fundamentalist and being liberal. u are i feel a fairly liberal peson!!much in opposition to what u think others' perception of u to be.

Except on one ground.
"Hinduism -state religion"
This is a fundamentalist attitude . It would mean the imposition of the religion and its practices upon everyone .

For instance ,in Saudi Arabia and other Islamic countries it is forbidden to have a caesarian even for a Non-Muslim.i myself know of somebody who had to fly back to india in a critical condiion of pregnancy because of this rule.
my friend-a hndu had to wear a burkha in Saudi
The Bamiyan statues of Buddha were torn down in Afghanistan as Islam is the state religion.

Would this be acceptable to u if today all this happened in our country and u as a hindu would have to alter ur lifestyle forcibly.personally , it would nt please me.

i would like to remind you that in the late 1950s in India ,when Hindi was about to be adopted as the oficial state language,there were massive protests in South India,who preferred English to be the language o the state.Infact the southern states have been carved u post independence on linguistic lines.Clearly "imposition" only brings divisions.

The imposition of Hinduism as a state religion would certainly inflict similar "intolerable" problems on other communities.

Maybe u ought to spend more time with this opinion ....its rather sensitive:)
Back to top Go down
Pragya

Pragya

Female Number of posts : 795

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 10:56 pm

hi ajay..I agree with you.religion id a personal thing.it should be left to people.they should be free to practice their 'respective' religions.and govt should not force them.India is amalgamation of different religions and castes.If each group asserts its own supremacy that would be very chaotic.
Back to top Go down
Vineet Modi
Admin
Vineet Modi

Male Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2007-06-04

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 1:00 am

Lol, I don't know if you were being sarcastic in your post (though you did seem serious for most of it) but assuming that you are seriously propagating what you said, the problem today is that the moment you write or say something like this, there are massive disagreements and heated arguments. Your post was highly "politically-incorrect" and it is something I myself believe in! Secularism has screwed a lot of things for us, and it will continue doing so in future. It is completely cool if a Hindu is forced to wear a Burka in a muslim country, but it cannot happen here simply because we are "secular". Looking at the rate at which terrorism, third world immigration and islamization of the world is taking place, I think slowly our children will be forced to wear a burka in our own lands. I propagate peace.. but all I can foresee is war, death and destruction. There WILL be another crusade, another gujrat riot and another Ayodhya demolition. Faith will over-power humanity (it always has) and our end is near! What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://campus18.forumotion.com
vaibhavab

Male Number of posts : 190

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 10:01 pm

Yeah, true. For once, a politically incorrect post. But still, thwew are issues highlighted here with which we agree , and some with which we do not.

@vineet
dont be such a pessimist yaar. Humanity will sail through, it always has. Our end is yet far. Peace.
Back to top Go down
amrit_jmi

amrit_jmi

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-07-05

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 10:42 pm

Yes i too suffered from the frustrations of being labelled a "fundamentalist" for a long long time. But my solace arrive when i realised that i am not a Hindu...there is no religion called Hinduism...the word Hindu itself was given to us by foreigners. Then who am i?

I am a Snatan Dharmi...and my religion is the Eternal Religion. What now can destroy me? I am not afraid of paintings by a senile artist, nor can the failure to acquire Ramjanmabhoomi upset my God. I do not fear if the children are taught the Bible more than the Gita...it all comes back to the root which is Snatan Dharma...

Anukam u say that you read the Bhagvad Gita...In chapter 2 of this great text it is said for our soul that fire cannot burn it, water cannot wet it, nor can the wind dry it...swords cannot cleave it either...it is eternal, imperishable, and all pervading....the same goes for our "religion"...Snatan Dharma....remember the word and concept of 'religion' is not native to us..."dharma" may be the best word we have for religion but dharma does NOT mean religion....I have no religion...i am a Snatan Dharmi...and Snatan Dharma was here before me, it will be here after me....rest assured....
Back to top Go down
Ritwik

Ritwik

Male Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Vineet wrote:
There WILL be another crusade, another gujrat riot and another Ayodhya demolition. Faith will over-power humanity (it always has) and our end is near! What a Face

If faith will overpower humanity, don't you think we should get rid of it, and fast?
Back to top Go down
http://www.unitedstudents.in
Reverie

Reverie

Female Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2007-07-09

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 3:39 am

@amrit_jmi : you made an anarchist like me wonder. for a long time i've been dealing with the agnostic factor (simply because i couldn't shoo the thought away just by saying im an athiest NOW). would right away learn about Snatan Dharma.
Back to top Go down
Reverie

Reverie

Female Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2007-07-09

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 3:49 am

"I am a fundamentalist because...
i say that the state should adopt an official religion. In strict terms, it should be hinduism. The simple reason---my motherland was divided on the question caste between the .... community and the .... community."

the question was caste and the reason was power.

"I promise myself, that i will teach my kids lessons from the Ramanaya and the Mahabharata. I will tell them history of our Upnishads and the Vedas.
I promise myself to enrich them with the rich heritage that is associated with their religion."

and if they refuse to supplant, dismiss.. you wouldnt accept.

that's why they label you.
Back to top Go down
k.harish

Male Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 10:35 am

It's a personal decision...

why should the state adopt one religion? Why should a guy practicing hinduism, be forced to do that for the rest of his life? Why should a citizen vote for a candidate who's from his caste/community, and not on the basis of his deeds? why?

It's a bloody personal decision...
Back to top Go down
adi

adi

Male Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 11:46 am

that was a very couragious post...i agree with most of what you said...but i can not accept our country being declared an hindu state...anythin but that!!!
Back to top Go down
amrit_jmi

amrit_jmi

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 11:25 pm

Reverie

i am glad i cud b a little intellectually stimulating....if it helps u let me add here that both Buddhism and Jainism are essential atheist....there exists no concept of God among them...what exists is the individual, the supreme...

the fact is that we are taught in these times to b good because God will reward us thus...or punish us if not...this concept exists even in Hinduism with Swarga and Narak....but Heaven and Hell exist within us...not without....even many prominent philosophers and thinkers of the western world, many who were not really convinced by religion, maintained that one should be good not for a higher reward bt because being good in itself is a reward...

Do i believe in God myself? I am not devotional...i am not religious...i do not really pray...and i definitely am not impressed by blind idol worship....my liking for Shiva aside God to me is not an entity, its just a metaphor for existence itself...If you believe in existence then to me u are not an atheist....forget about Ram and Krishna and Allah and Jesus....they are not here in these times....what we have is ourselves...and our actions....The Law of Cause and Effect is a greater God than God..because even God cannot turn the wheel of Karma....
Back to top Go down
amrit_jmi

amrit_jmi

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 7:42 pm

anukam i am a little confused about your slogan "arjunia milia islamia" .... wat are u trying 2 say by that? are u tryin 2 b cute? is it a take on jamia milia islamia? if it is...which i think it is...then i am obliged to make the following points:

'milia' means national....and islamia means islamic....so u are saying arjunia national islamic???? wat does that mean please enlighten me?

jamia milia islamia...as u seem to think...is a muslim hideout??? no its not...i am a student of that university and it is free from (or plagued by?) the same bigotry, hypocrisy, communalism and intolerance as any college of DU....

it is a university founded on and run by secular principles...contrary to popular belief there is no special quota for muslims there....tho some students have tried to get that done they have failed repeatedly...

and finally...altho i do not support ur statement...if what u are tryin 2 do is establish a slogan parallel to and on the lines of "jamia milia islamia" bt based on hinduism then what ur looking for is "jamia milia arjunia" ... where jamia means university and milia as i clarified means national....

if i wud call u a fundamentalist....it wud b not because u read the gita, hate mf hussain, and wud teach upanishads 2 ur kids...but because u suffer from the dangerous combination of passion with ignorance
Back to top Go down
yellowink

Male Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 11:52 pm

as long as youre not forcing anybody to follow/listen to what youre "preaching", there shouldnt be an issue of you being labled in any way, and if you are, then thats just like...their opinion right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: They say i am a fundamentalist....   They say i am a fundamentalist.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

They say i am a fundamentalist....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Campus18 Forum :: Blogs :: General Blogs-
Jump to: